Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Pearl In My Pocket, and Random Moments of Beauty

The other day I wore this beautiful ring i have that has dozens of tiny seed pearls dangling off little jump rings, the combination of pearly sheen and lustrous silver always makes me smile, and I love the way the little pearls flop around when I move. So put my hand in my pocket as I strode down the hall here at work, and there was something in there. I thought it was grit or lint, but when I pulled it out, I discovered one of the tiny pearls. I put it back in my pocket, but knew the likelihood of my remembering to take it out when I got home were small and that I'd probably lose the pearl next time I washed the pants. (I actually did remember later in the day, and discovered the pearl on the floor of my closet. It currently rests safely in my jewelry box.) Most people find pearls inside of oysters, but I found one in my pocket!

The Mayo Clinic is an amazingly beautiful place. There are several interconnected buildings of various vintages and architectural styles and they are interconnected on the subway level. I pass from one building to the next as I make my way to the cafeteria, the bus stop (it's been too cold to walk to work the last couple of days), to get my ID badge, to get to work. I love the wood paneling, the warm color of it, as I make my way from where the bus drops me off until I get to the cafeteria for my breakfast. There's a series of actual Warhols hanging in one corridor. There's a sculpture of a little girl playing that always makes me smile when I see it. And yesterday, as I entered the subway level of the Gonda Building there were young ladies playing classical music. I heard it as I walked from my building, and didn't realize it was live. Slowly I noticed it didn't sound "canned". Then I walked through the doorway and the sound became richer and fuller, bouncing off all that gorgeous marble. The violinist finished her piece to a smattering of applause, and they began another and I walked towards my destination with the sound of their music following me.

1 comment:

  1. That's a beautifully descriptive bit of writing - and what a lovely place you work in! How nice that the music wasn't canned, but live - is that a regular occurrence?

    ReplyDelete