Saturday, March 28, 2009

Four Weeks Down

Let's see. It's been an eventful week. Last Friday was my first payday in nearly three years. For some reason, they don't do direct deposit for the first check, and I wasn't sure when it would arrive, so it was a nice surprise to see it in my mailbox on Saturday. I called Blair for the opening of the envelope. I got a little teary when I opened it. It's a good feeling to have a job. My sympathies go to anyone dealing with unemployment in these perilous times. I'm so grateful to have a job, every day.

I've caught live music several times this past week. Last Friday there was a woman playing piano and singing "You Light Up My Life." Last night there was another woman in a poncho/shawl playing classical music. I'm beginning to think that anyone can just play these things whenever they want because this lady looked like she was dressed for the outdoors. It would be a very convenient way to practice if one didn't have a grand piano of one's own - just stop by one on the way home! This morning there was a gentleman playing classical guitar, but this was a scheduled event - there was a backdrop behind him with the theme of the healing power of music (or something along those lines). It was lovely.

After I deposited my check last Saturday, I did a little shopping. I found a Home Goods and found a small occasional table to use for a vanity. Between the small bureau and night stand, I didn't have enough flat surfaces for all my "stuff". And now I have a place to sit while I do my hair and get ready in the morning. I also got a little shelf to organize my desk/work table. I still have a little more unpacking to do (3 more boxes of craft stuff - I got tired of doing it last weekend with all the other things I was doing.) I also hit Target for a few things including some frozen salmon with a dill cream cheese sauce and individual frozen broccoli with cheese sauce.


I'm doing fairly well with keeping low carb. I've been eating salad everyday with my lunch, and I lost 5 pounds so far. It's gotten easier to get up the flight of stairs on the way to the cafeteria, and I no longer stop at the top on the way down to psyche myself up for the trip (my knees were unhappy going downstairs at first.) It's been cold the last few days, so Dumble and I haven't wandered much on our evening walks, but last weekend we had two very nice rambles on the paths by the river.

The news in the mornings on NPR is full of the flooding in Fargo, ND and Moorhead, MN (the two cities are on opposite sides of the Red River which is (I think) at a record height right now)). Fully half of the national news coverage in the show is about the flooding (the other half is the economy), and 90% of the local part of the show. Last week, there was a lot of talk about the paroled SLA person and those objecting to her serving her parole here in MN, but she's been bumped by the floods.

Sunday, Dumble and I went into downtown on our walk. Se met two lovely toddlers who were as excited to meet Dumbledore as he was to meet them. On the way back home I heard a carrillon playing a familiar sounding tune. It took me a little while to recognize that it was Puff the Magic Dragon. How whimsical!

Tonight on my way home, I made my way through the subway and skyway to the Barnes and Noble (photos here and here - it's the prettiest bookstore I've ever been in). The B&N connects to a little shopping mall, which I discovered today
has a downstairs. I looked over the railing and saw a Lenscrafters - hooray, my glasses have been crooked, so I got them adjusted. There was a nice restaurant downstairs and I had a bunless bacon cheddar burger with green beans. It hit the spot!

I'm so glad I brought Dumble with me, I can't imagine how depressing it would be to wake up alone and to walk into this apartment empty. But instead I have a happy little dog to greet me, with his waggy tail, and I have to take him right outside for a little air and exercise. He's been so well-behaved to - no messes in the house, but he sure is eager to do his business once I get home!

I've been keeping track of little things that make me smile:
- there's an owl that Dumble and I hear hooting most mornings (the sun is barely up when we get up for work)
- in the apartment in the back corner of the building there are three cats who sit on the window sill (just inches above ground level). I see them occasionally in the morning, but most afternoons. They assiduously watch Dumble go by, but he hasn't a clue that they are there.
- there's a fountain/waterfall that I see on my way to the cafeteria for breakfast if I've taken the bus.
- a decorative sign I saw in Target that said "do one thing every day that makes you happy"
- one day when we were walking on the sidewalk, a guy on a motorcycle rode by and smiled at Dumbledore
- two display cases on the subway level of the building my office is in: one has some examples of White House china and one has china from the Mayo family. It was so fascinating , I ended up reading every placard even though I was tired and really wanted to get home.
- unpacking my scrapbook supplies last weekend - whoopee, it's Christmas!
- working on puzzles with Dan during our video chats - tonight I held up the dog so the guys could see him and talk to him. Dumble was unimpressed.
- rereading the Miles Vorkosigan novels by Lois McMaster Bujold. I adore these books and have to reread them every couple of years. I've laughed out loud in the cafeteria.

I have to make a trip home soon for a doctor's appointment. I'm going to try to coincide with Dan's spring break and maybe Blair can get some time off too. I need to arrrange flights and get an airline approved under seat carrier for Dumble.

This weekend I need to finish my unpacking and clean house a bit, do some food shopping. I have a shopping list and one of the items I need is a shopping list. (the magnetic kind for the fridge). I like the symmetry of that (or is it irony?)

2 comments:

  1. SOunds like you are keeping yourself busy and upbeat! I agree...how nice that Dumble is there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you and Dumble are building a busy, pleasant life in MN. Yes, things are bad in Fargo - and it is heading our way, but luckily Winnipeg is better equipped (and the river is much bigger so has more capacity).

    Keep us posted - I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete