Sunday, December 20, 2009

Home at Last

When I got to Long Beach airport, it was very crowded, but I was in plenty of time to catch my flight.  Little did I know how true that was!  My flight took off an hour and a half late, after two gate changes.  I was worried about making my connection in Las Vegas, but first they told us that because so many folks on the flight were making the same connection, they would hold the flight, then later they told us the New York flight would be using the same plane.  Whew!

Then even better, when we landed in Vegas, they told us not to deplane.  All I had to do was slide my luggage to the other side of the overhead, and pop into the seat right behind mine!  It sure took a lot of anxiety out of changing flights!



As we waited in Long Beach, Dumble was intermittently whining (very quietly) - he wanted off my lap to make friends with people he saw.  There was this guy a couple seats away from me who kept muttering about how I should shut him up and why couldn't I keep him quiet.  He was the first person we ever met while travelling who wasn't charmed by Dumbledore - go figure.  I doubt anyone further away from me than he was could even hear him.  The folks right by me liked him though; they both talked to him, and one let him lick his fingers.

There was another dog on the flight to Vegas, and before we took off he started barking.  Of course, Dumble couldn't let that pass without comment so he started barking too.  And he would settle down, then the other dog would start in again, and so would Dumble.  I could picture that going on the whole flight!  But they both quieted before we took off.

Blair was in baggage claim when we got off the flight, and he had my big down coat for me.  Before we headed to the car, I took Dumble to the doggy rest area at the Jet Blue terminal.  The had a little fenced in area with benches for the people, and clean up stations, but the best part was the two fire hydrants.  What a riot.

We made it home hours before the snow hit.  Blair thinks we got 6 or 7 inches.  Before it started, he went to the supermarket and got the fixings for latkes (a little late for Hannukkah, but what the hey).   We'll decorate our tree this afternoon (the one my Jewish husband selected) with Christmas and Hannukkah decorations and have latkes for dinner.  'Cause that's how we roll here in the Satter house.

3 comments:

  1. I like dogs, and I'm charmed by most of them. I like babies, and I'm charmed by most of them. But they both lose their charm on crowded, stressed out flights when you just want and need a little quiet time and they want to whine or scream. Add in any allergy to dogs, and it's not so fun.

    My kids were both terrified of dogs when they were little. Not so much cats, but since we don't have pets, a cat that has suddenly gotten loose in the cabin of an airplane isn't too amusing, either. I think I said some choice words when the cat slipped under our seats and the kids tried to climb on top of my head.

    Glad you and Dumbledore made it home safely for the holidays, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home, Ellen - everything sounds like it worked out just fine and shame on that man for thinking that Dumble could ever do anything wrong! Have a wonderful time with your family and enjoy the latkes!

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could see his muttering or whatever if Dumble was being obnoxious, but Dumble was just occasionally emmitting these tiny little whines. I'm surprised he could actually hear the dog over the noise of the crowd - we were packed into that little room like sardines.

    ReplyDelete