Sunday, December 26, 2010

Snowed In

Well, the weathermen kept going back and forth as to whether our part of CT was going to get walloped or no snow at all. We're getting walloped.

My sister posted on Facebook that the wind moved her dog a half foot to the side wheb she took him out. Dumbledore wouldn't even go near the back door when we opened it and encouraged him to go out. Blair took him down to the garage, and shoveled him a little area just outside the garage door - the snow was taller than he was (at least a foot). 

This is reminding me of the blizzard of '96. The state was shut down for two days and I was convinced I would go into labor and not be able to get to the hospital. At least we never lost power. Today though, the wind is blowing so hard that the family room is pretty chilly despite the fact that the heat is on.

This morning, Blair and I got up early-ish (8) to hit the Hallmark store. We got tissue paper and bows which I was out of, but they had no wrapping paper, which I am running low on. It was all only 40% off though. I'm bummed because I'm finally running out of the paper I got for 50% off when Alex was small.

Then we hit the supermarket. What a zoo!! Blair got on line at the service desk to return the Coke he bought by mistake. He was supposed to get Diet Coke to go with the Mentos we gave Daniel for Christmas. I stopped at the hand scanner kiosk and they were all dead (there were only three units in the display). I ran to the other end of the store and there was an out of order sign on the kiosk there. Oh noes! We were going to have to wait on a long line to get out. 

We shopped and got on one of the self checkout lines behind at least 7 or 8 people. I'm leaning on the cart and I turn around to say something to B and he's not there. A little while later, he turns up with a working hand scanner (I guess those three units charged up and he got the last one). We start scanning like mad and packing up our reusable bags, figuring that at least when we get to the head of the line, we'll get out fast. But it got better, the gal who watches over the self service line saw us scanning. She was surprised and checked to make sure it was working OK. The she took us out of line to her station and processed our order, and bang zoom - we were done!

On the way out of the store, we popped the scanner back in the display, so hopefully someone else got lucky too. Once we were in the car, I kept telling Blair that he rocked and that he was "da man". On the way home, I realized I should have grabbed a bunch of scanners from the out of order side and popped them into the empty display. But maybe the woman told someone and they got them working again.

We got home and watched Despicable Me with Daniel. Then I made cheese sticks (wrap string cheese in refrigerator dough and bake according to the directions on the roll package). We all enjoyed them. Blair gave me one of those jewelry armoires (he got a really good deal on one with plenty of drawers, and my current box is overflowing) and I spent the afternoon and evening sorting through the stuff in my old jewelry box, pairing up earrings and such. It was loads of fun (I love sorting and organizing and loved seeing stuff I haven't looked at in a while). Blair and I watched a bunch of old NCISs while I did that.

The hospital massage therapist called to cancel tomorrow's appointment. She may reschedule for later in the week, since she missed last Monday too, due to illness. I probably won't have radiation either. (There's a LOT of snow out there already and it won't quit until tomorrow evening.) I was planning to take a "vacation" day from radiation on Wednesday or Thursday and going into NYC with Dan (who finished all the stuff he owed the English teacher on Christmas Eve!) and Blair, but now I'm thinking I should see if they can take me early in the morning instead, since it'll be 4 days off by the time I get to the hospital.

I felt pretty energetic today (although I did nap for a bit during the day). Maybe it won't take too long to recover my energy once I'm done with the radiation? That'd be nice.

I hope everyone is warm and cozy!


No comments:

Post a Comment