Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Day

I woke up thinking today would suck big rocks, but it was pretty ok.

It didn't start out so great, I'm looking all over for my copic markers. I'm pretty sure I brought them, and the place isn't that big - so where are they? Blair can't find them at home either, but I'll look next week.

I got my oil changed and the guy recognized me (or more likely my car - after all how many vans does he see with CT plates and a license plate holder from Haleakala Motors on Maui?)

Thence to Target for some essentials (TP, paper towels, ligthbulbs - such an exciting day so far huh?) and a floor lamp. It's so dark in my living room at night. I got one of those guys with five shades on flexible arms, so I can point them all around and really brighten up the place.

Next stop was the Rochester Scrapbooking Co, where I got some really cool glitter paper. It gorgeous!

Next up was Petco, Dumble is running low on kibble and treats (this day just keeps getting more and more exciting!) I also found him a little rubber chicken, it's not exactly like the dead duck he had at momento (it disappeared shortly before we closed), but it's pretty close.

I stopped in a nearby Hallmark to ogle the Vera Bradley bags. Then I wandered around Hobby Lobby (I've never been in one before.) It was OK, but there was nothing I wanted to buy.

I had dinner at Whiskey Creek (bacon cheeseburger, fries and a decadent desert involving some kind of chocolate cake/brownie thing with ice cream, hot fudge and whipped cream.) It was yummy, but if the burger was medium, I'm 17. (BTW, I'm 48 but I don't look a day over 47.) As I ate my dessert, I said "Happy Birthday to me."

I came home to a very happy doggy, and we had a nice long walkies. It was a lovely evening for it, cool and breezy, very pleasant, and it did good things for my mood, and Dumble was happy to, but not has happy as he was to get the rubber chicken when we got home.

I watched some TV with my guys, and now my day is done.

There was a one-legged man with a cardboard sign at a stoplight this afternoon. My window was rolled down and he asked if I was having a good day. I wasn't at the time, but compared to his, I wasn't going to say no. He asked if I could spare some change and I gave him a dollar. In a gentle voice, he thanked me and wished me a good day. It made me want to cry. But I'm still not sure if I was crying for him or me. Certainly being 2000 miles from my family sucks, but I have a job, and me and my guys have all our limbs. I suppose I'm entitled to the occasional pity party, but then I need to get over myself.

I got email and facebook birthday greetings from all over the country, and even from a couple others, and they really brightened my day. At the speed of light, love comes to me from my dear March moms, my friends and my family. Thank you all.

2 comments:

  1. Happy (belated) birthday, Ellen! Yes, you're loved. And yes, you're still entitled to a little pity party, but it's good that you know your life doesn't suck rocks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I can't believe how this stuff happens! That image of the one-legged man asking you if you are having a good day. Realize how temporary this is...next year you will celebrate your bday with your family!!! Love you L

    ReplyDelete