Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Why Do They Call It Labor Day...

... if we don't do any work? :-)

Wednesday afternoon, I left work a little early, went to the apartment and grabbed my luggage, picked Dumble up at the groomer (boy, do I love the soft fluffy hair on the top of a freshly bathed Yorkie's head, just like baby's hair!) and headed to the airport. Just enough time in O'Hare to pick up a Cinnabon and bagel to go, before heading to the other gate - where they were already boarding! Blair picked me up at LaGuardia and we got home after 1AM. Good thing they changed my appointment the next morning from 11am to 9am (NOT).

We were in downtown New Haven and Blair wanted to stop by Gateway to return his textbook (having scored an earlier version way cheaper on line), and I convinced him to try to find our way there rather than get on the highway. We ended up in West Haven - so much for following my nose! After that we pottered around the Trumbull mall for a bit and had lunch at Johnny Rockets - love the music, love the half fries/half onion rings! Quiet afternoon and evening at home.

On Friday, we exchanged the cable box for a new one, and then headed west on 84 to route 7. It's been a while since we've been antiquing and we had fun meandering down 7, stopping where ever it struck our fancies. We had lunch at a place called the Little Pub, it was quite busy, and the fries were great!

Dan's been grumbling about the new dress code at his school, so he was excited for his first "casual Friday," where he could finally wear his traditional first day of school shirt (the one that says "Warning! I'm not paying attention.") He feels it's only fair to let the teachers know right out of the box what they are in for. Friday was also our last Ice Cream Social at 6 to 6. He's been going there since he was 4 - sniff, sniff.

Dan has been talking about "needing" skinny jeans like his friends, so we told him to find out where they got them, and to let us know. So on Saturday, we hit a store in the mall called Zumiez, where he got a blue pair and a black pair. The blue jeans were a youth 24, but the black pair was a men's 26 - yikes!

Skinny jeans are a good look for him, it's the first time in eons he's had pants that both fit at the waist and are long enough (usually the long enough jeans are way too large in the waist). The 26s were a little bunchy around the ankles, but for some reason made his legs look even skinnier. I know how it feels not to have the right clothes and it made him so happy to have them. That night we had dinner out with my in-laws, it was good to see them.

On Sunday, there was a BBQ at my mom's (but poor mom had to work, so everyone was there but her!) Yummy Ballpark dog, homemade potato salad, cole slaw and mom's Texas Barbecue Sauce, baked beans, and some sinful desserts Dad got at Costco. One was a cabernet pear tart, with marzipan, one was a cake that was more like a huge, thick chocolate chip cookie, and the other was a mudpie cake that was like fudge with marshmallows and nuts on top. I had to have some of each.

I gave my sister her wedding album and she loved it. She and her hubby had hit the Elephant's Trunk earlier, and she got me 4 Trek plates that she got there way cheap for my birthday. We brought Dumbledore with us and he loved seeing all the family and playing roomba while we ate. We hung around back at home for a bit, I packed, and then we went back over to see my mom when she got home from work.

On Monday, we left for the airport at 11 for a 2pm flight, because we were worried about traffic. The guys tried to get gate passes, but the ticket agent wouldn't go for it. As always, it sucked leaving them, and I'm here in MN now until Thanksgiving.

1 comment: