Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sad and Bewildered

I had a very close friend, we were a matched set, with so many things in common, similar backgrounds, tastes, sense of humor. We'd been through a lot together, so I was caught completely flat-footed when, like a light switch turning off, my friend, who'd been as dear to me as a sister, was no longer my friend.

I've tried to find out why this happened, but my emails went unanswered. I'm so hurt, so confused, so sad. I don't know what I did to bring this on. And I'm having trouble letting go. So many times, I think of her, things happening that she'd appreciate, memories of time we spent together. And each time I think of her, I wonder why.

I know I have to give up on trying to find what went wrong. Continuing to email with no response would be stalker-like, but knowing and feeling are two separate things. How do I get my heart in line with my logical mind? How do I let go of the emptiness, the hurt? Maybe if I could get angry, but there's only sadness and bewilderment.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Do you have any advice?

4 comments:

  1. The same thing has happened to me. A friend for so very very long..stopped returning calls...I sent birthday cards, holiday cards...never anything back...I have NO idea what I did, if I even did anything...I have come to accept that things have changed, perhaps we both have changed and have moved on. I only hope all is well with her; I fear that something is wrong and would like to know....but I feel for you, and sympathize...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, honey. I can't help with your actual problem, but I can send lots of hugs and support ... sometimes people have internal stuff going on, and there is nothing anybody on the outside can do. Just be patient and hope for the best ... you never know.

    Lots of hugs, Hadass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people just suddenly get stupid.

    (Tho they might call it something else, especially when religious conversions are involved. Maybe this instance involves a church that denounces Star Trek ...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this happen. And years later, the person wandered back into my life. She was going through some stuff and I never asked why I didn't hear from her for years. Sometimes people take things out on people who have nothing to do with their anger. And sometimes, when they're in a better place, they come back.

    ReplyDelete