Friday, May 8, 2009

Trek Review

(first some spoiler free comments) I just got back from seeing the new Star Trek movie, and it was a fantastic movie. Exciting, funny, lots of wanton destruction (always one of my favorite things). The actors (especially Zachary Quinto as Spock) did a good job of channeling the original characters without doing impressions. It even felt like Trek.

(spoilers ahead)

But
the time travel/interference with the past that starts the plot in motions has the effect of erasing the last 40+ years of established "history". Towards the end I was waiting for someone to go forward in time to set everything right, and then slowly realized they weren't going to. And while I really enjoyed the movie, I wish they'd found a way to make it without mucking about with the previously established timeline.

3 comments:

  1. Y'see, that's what's so great about LOST.

    After their series wrap, they could have later reunion specials in which their characters could fix fan-identified continuity errors, and it would all fit into the concept of the show.

    I bet J.J.Abrams watched enough DS9 to ponder, "How could I do the time thing better?"

    Nearly PS: Nobody mentions Simon Pegg in the reviews. How was he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding your point, Matt Yglesius says: "Handling the desire to ditch elements of the established history through the mechanism of a goofy time travel plot is very much in the spirit of a franchise that’s full of goofy time travel plots."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you. When they killed Spock's mother right away I told my daughter and her husband (who took me to see it on IMax) that Spock's mother doesn't get killed in the original series. I'd rather they had just went with the timeline established. But, like you, I did love the movie and thought the actors must have studied the original show, cause they all did a great job.

    ReplyDelete