Monday, November 30, 2009

Amarillo, TX

What a difference a good night's sleep makes.  Today was easy-peasy!  I need to resist the pull to power through with as few stops as possible, perversely the trip seems to go faster when I stop more often!  Of course, downing lots of diet coke means more potty breaks.  My hotel is two doors down from a Denny's so I left Dumble in the room and had dinner.  I came back and he insisted on another walkies (he stared meaningfully at the dresser where I stashed his leash (out of sight, but he obviously knew it was there) and then actually barked at me (which he hardly ever does), so we went back out.)  Funny dog.  He's on my calves as I type on the laptop, chewing on his lamby.

I've been chatting with Blair as I drive and he's been following me on google maps as we chat.  He was "with" me as I got off the highway in a small town in Oklahoma and tried to find the Sonic that was supposed to be there somewhere according to a sign on the exit ramp.  As I exited, I had to pay a toll, and the toll booth attendant admired Dumble and asked if he could have a treat - he loved it!  (The lady at the Burger King drive-thru this morning offered him some bacon, but we declined).  It turned out the Sonic was just off the main drag on a side street and I missed it the first pass through town.  I'm exclaiming to Blair on the speaker phone "There's no more town!"  A nice man on a motor cycle at a gas station pointed me in the right direction.

Dumble was a comfy as can be in his car seat.  He spent most of the day curled up, uninterested in the scenery.  He perks up when I leave the highway, then settles back down if I get out of the car.  When I use the keyless entry, his head pops up because he knows I'm coming.  Tonight after I checked into the hotel, I  came back out of the lobby and he was watching the door for me.  A man unloading his car asked if he was mine and commented on how patiently Dumble was waiting for me to come back.  He's such a mellow fellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment