Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Oncologist

This morning, a friend stopped by with yummy donuts and muffins and we had a nice chat. She even got to meet my Mom who came to pick me up to take me to the oncologist (Blair met us there, his work is across the street from the hospital). It was wonderful to see my friend and she looks terrific.

I'm still pretty sore from the surgery and plenty bruised up too. I had a bad reaction to the tape and have blisters around the edges of where it was. I now have something to remember when I'm asked about allergies to medications, etc (tegaderm?).

We had a long talk with the doctor - I really liked his manner and personality. He gave us a little biology lesson about cancer and breast cancer in particular, and what they know so far about mine. Unfortunately, they don't have the pathology report from the lumpectomy yet, so there isn't a concrete plan yet. There will definitely be radiation, most probably tamoxifen for several years after my treatment is complete, and there's about it seemed a 40% chance that he will recommend chemo as well. He explained everything very clearly but not at all in a condescending way. I feel really comfortable with him. His office is contacting my surgeon about getting the reports from the lumpectomy when they are available, and there is a test he wants performed on the tumor, if Dr Ward hasn't already ordered it. So it may be a couple of weeks more until we have all the information we need to make a plan going forward.

Mom and I went to lunch afterwards and it was nice to chat (although it was more like verbal diarrhea on my part and listening on hers - thanks Mom!) Now I'm back home with my puppy sleeping by my feet, and I need to call the surgeon and see if I'm allowed to drive and if it's OK to go to the yoga class at the cancer center tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment