Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Back and Forth

Last Thursday night, Dumbledore and I headed east for the July 4th weekend. The nice surprise for me was that Alex came down from Massachussetts, so I got to have lunch at Chili's with all my guys! The weekend was filled with visits with family and packing up Daniel for his fun-filled summer in Minnesota.

We started with a large pile of what Daniel thought was neccessary, and with judicious pruning and smart packing, we managed to get into two duffles (along with my things). Flying home was mostly problem free, but boos and hisses to American for posting the wrong gate number on the monitors for a while and not making any announcements at the "wrong" gate until the final boarding call. But the three of us got home safe and sound, and made a quick trip to the market for food for Daniel.

He had his first day of camp yesterday, and likes his "team leader" and the rest of his team. He enjoyed the activities but not the lunch, and had a good time. He had no problem catching a city bus and called me from his new cell phone when he got downtown (the good news is that every bus in Rochester ends up by the Clinic.) I met him in the plaza and brought him up to my office.

Today, he'll be making his way to my office by himself. He doesn't seem to have been nervous about the bus trip (he's hardly ever taken public transportation before - let alone by himself) and seems to have been fine with being dumped in a strange place with a bunch of people he's never met before. I'm so proud of the way he adapted!

We took a little walk with Dumble last night and I pointed out some things. I showed him where he should be able to get off the bus near our apartment if he doesn't want to meet me at work (and he's on a particular bus).

Of course, it's been great having him here. Dumble is enjoying having another playmate, and I'm just tickled to have his company. He's such a nice guy and I've missed him terribly.

3 comments:

  1. So glad that Daniel is with you and Dumble! And happy that he likes camp ... what an adventure for him. You sound so happy - I'm so glad that you are and that album is gorgeous!

    I miss seeing you ... it's nice to 'hear' your voice via blog!

    Enjoy your son and the summer!

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I a so thrilled you have your Dan Man back with you for a while!! How exciting for him. You and Blair have ended up turning hardship into an adventure of sorts...for Dan anyway:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy this precious time together!! I love that you all are working so hard to make this contract job work for your family.

    ReplyDelete