Friday, October 19, 2007

Same Drive, Different Day


Both yesterday and today, I had occasion to drive from Howe Avenue in Shelton to the store. My journey took me along River Road from Shelton into Stratford. And although the path I took both days was identical, the two trips couldn't have been more different.

Yesterday, I was coming back from the vet, with Dumbledore and a clean bill of health. The weather was nice and the trees were in their full New England Fall glory. With the river at my left, I was singing along with the radio and smiling all the while.

Today was gloomy and rainy, and it matched my mood. I was heading back to the store after renting my eldest a moving truck so he can move his stuff into his new apartment in Massachusetts. I'm busting with pride that he's going out on his own, but I'm sad as well. Can twenty years have really have passed since he was a newborn? He's changed so much from the sunny, happy boy to the quiet young man.

Alex, I wish you health, happiness and love, a warm place to sleep and good food to eat. I wish you dreams, drive and contentment.

Be careful. Have fun. Be safe.

And call your Mother every now and then, OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment